Not Your Average Micro-Influencer Webinar [Webinar Recap]By Cara Valle on August 29th, 2017 | 0 Comments
On August 29, 2017, Bulldog Reporter presented a webinar by Shane Barker titled micro-influencers: a micro-webinar. Here is a recap of what the influencer marketing guru had to teach us.
Our recent webinar looked at a topic generating a lot of buzz lately among PR and marketing professionals — micro-influencers.
Are you a Star of PR?
Don't miss out - Late entries for the Bulldog Stars of PR awards are still being accepted. Enter in Individual and Agency categories.
While we could easily devote an entire webinar to the stats of micro-influencer’s effectiveness (especially when you compare it to that of their bigger, more in-your-face counterparts, macro-influencers), we decided to instead spend the 25-minute webinar focusing on practical tips for PR and communications pros.
And, since many PR professionals are dipping their toes into the micro-influencer pool for the first time, our webinar aimed to answer the following 2 most important questions:
1) Where do I find micro-influencers?
2) How do I work with micro-influencers effectively?
Our guest presenter, Shane Barker, who has lived and breathed micro-influencers for years, used his expert knowledge to answer these questions.
There are plenty of micro-influencers out there, but how do you zero in on the ones best for your brand? Here are some tips to begin finding your hidden gems.
- Use Agility, a global database of 800k followers to easily locate influencers by topic, location, or even job role. Within the platform, you can compile lists of micro-influencers for outreach, and dive into each influencer’s profile, including follower numbers, location, and their 20 latest tweets; this insight will give you an immediate sense of their current interests and how they craft their messages so you can see if they’re a fit for your brand.
- Find micro-influential fans from your follower list. Look across your brand’s social channels and take a hard look at who is already following you. You might be surprised what precious little nuggets are hiding right under your nose!
- Use relevant hashtag searches. When you’re diving into a topic, especially a niche one, this will help you find who’s got a voice.
- A simple Google search can be another great place to start finding bloggers and social media mavens in specific regions.
Working with Micro-Influencers
Once you have found your desired micro-influencers, what are the best ways to approach them and develop a plan to work with them?
In the webinar, Shane outlines his strategy with a step-by-step process, and also gives his best rules of thumb for working with these small but mighty influencers.
Here are his top tips:
- Just like with any campaign, start with a goal, so you can base other aspects of your campaign around it.
- Define your performance metrics up front. Based on your end goal, which metrics will be the best for measuring your micro-influencer’s performance?
- Even though micro-influencers are cost-effective, set a budget. This will help you understand how many micro-influencers you can work with and how much you can afford to pay each of them.
- Develop a compensation plan that benefits your brand and your micro-influencers. Don’t make the assumption that micro-influencers will want to work for free or free products alone. You may want to pay them a fixed amount, or pay them a percentage based on their performance.
- Promote transparency and ensure each influencer follows FTC rules, or other countries’ trade guidelines, for creating promotional content.
For more details on exactly why micro-influencers are the future of your brand — as well as some dos and don’ts when it comes to working with them — check out our webinar, micro-influencers: a micro-webinar.