Did you know that the Instagram algorithm favors comments that positively affect your engagement rate? When someone comments on your Instagram post, responding to them is a fantastic way to connect with them and build a relationship.
While creating an Instagram content calendar and publishing regularly is paramount, it’s also important to keep your followers engaged by responding to their comments.
Therefore, responding to Instagram comments using relatable and authentic language is crucial.
Today, I’ll tell you how to respond to Instagram comments and offer you some Instagram comment reply ideas to help you maintain a healthy flow of comments. Keep reading.
Why should you respond to comments on Instagram?
Do you reply to comments on your Instagram posts? While the rise of Instagram spam accounts and bots makes us question the sincerity and validity of comments, it’s essential to pay attention to your Instagram community and boost your engagement. There are a few reasons you should respond to comments on your Instagram posts; let’s take a closer look at them.
- It boosts your business. Responding to Instagram comments shows that you appreciate your followers, who may turn out to be your future customers. When people visit your Instagram page and see that you respond to followers’ comments, it shows you’re active on the app. This comes in handy when they have a customer service issue or a question.
- It shapes your brand’s reputation. Replying to Instagram comments helps you make connections with your audience, which ultimately builds your brand reputation. If you ignore comments on your Instagram posts, you’ll open doors to rumors about your brand.
- Increase customer loyalty. When you respond to comments, it shows you’re reliable, which in turn reassures your customers. And if your customers are satisfied with how you respond to their issues, they’re more likely to refer your brand to friends, family or colleagues.
- Identify gaps and issues with your products or services. Monitoring and responding to Instagram comments helps you know what your customers think about your products or services. Moreover, it enables you to measure customer sentiment and track conversions.
Instagram comment types and how to respond
The types of Instagram comments you’ll get vary from person to person, and you should respond accordingly. Sometimes, the comments are positive. Other times, they’re negative, while others are spam comments not related to your brand.
Each of them has varying degrees of urgency and response requirements. Let’s look at the main types of Instagram comments and some response examples to help you get started.
Sometimes, you’ll receive practical, personal or provocative questions about your products or services which require your attention. Whether the person posing the question is confused or just curious, acknowledge the comment and respond as soon as you can.
Dealing with dissatisfied customers is a common occurrence in any business. If you receive angry comments from unhappy customers, it’s essential you respond immediately and inform them that you’re working to resolve their issue.
Some customers in your Instagram comments will be looking for customer support for their issues. If you receive such kind of support inquiries, reply professionally and politely and offer the support needed. Also, pay attention that some comments may require private conversations, such as in Direct Messaging (DMs). In such a case, reply publicly and inform the user that you’ve sent them a private message.
Indirect or neutral comments
Some comments do not have any particular meaning; sometimes, it’s just your followers thinking out loud. They neither tear down your brand nor build it up. For example, it can be a user tagging another user. In this case, there’s no need to respond. end a simple like instead.
Shares and mentions
When people notice your posts and share them with their audience, it’s important to respond. Therefore, acknowledge the person that shared your post and encourage them to continue sharing more of your posts.
Best practices for responding to comments on Instagram
The comments left on your Instagram posts deserve your full attention. However, there are a few things to remember when responding to Instagram comments. Here are the general rules for responding to comments on Instagram.
- Always stay professional. Whether the comments are provocative, sarcastic, negative, or outright vicious, ensure you maintain professionalism by remaining polite and respectful.
- Maintain a distinct personality. Give your response a sense of warmth and personality. Feel free to react with an emoji or pair it with a comment. You can also get creative and lighten up their day by complimenting the people who comment on your posts.
- Be honest. If you’re unsure of the answer to a question raised, acknowledge it and offer a sincere reply. Rather than offering false promises or ignoring the comment, be transparent and respond carefully.
- Take things offline when necessary. Some customer comments require that you handle them in private. DMs come in handy if you don’t want to respond to comments publicly. In such a scenario, reply to the comment saying that you have sent them a DM and handle the issue offline.
- Measure and report on your social activities. Track your followers’ sentiments to gather information about their perceptions and feelings about your brand. You also need to track your followers’ feedback and the average response time so that you improve your brand.
The bottom line
Whether you’ve been replying to Instagram comments for years or you’re just starting out, using these best practices will help you connect with your followers and build relationships. In turn, you’ll get new and repeat sales.
Whenever you respond to Instagram comments, remain respectful and genuine. Show your followers that they’re following a brand that values its followers.
Do you have other tips on how to respond to positive comments on social media?