You’ve got a problem: your client is demanding a dynamite campaign that’ll bring them brand exposure and social engagement, your boss is barking at you to get it done, and your team is waiting for your word.
And oh! you’ve got another problem: you’re fresh out of ideas.
Enter Reddit to save the day.
Our guest presenter, Daniel Russell – who has worked with several of the world’s largest organizations to build their brands online – broke his presentation on using Reddit to spike your media coverage down into three sections:
- Why Reddit is the spot to find sticky content
- How Reddit works
- Actionable tips on how to spike your earned media using the platform
Why Reddit is the spot to find sticky content
Reddit’s the biggest and best online forum there is. According to Alexa, at the time of writing, it’s the eighth-most popular site on the internet, with over 50 million visits…a day.
And those users engage too, to the tune of 25 million votes (if you aren’t sure what these are, we’ll get to it later) and five million comments, again, every single day.
What all this tells us is that the most popular pictures and gifs and posts on Reddit are really, really popular.
The fact of the modern media is that, if it works on Reddit, it’ll work in the mainstream.
How to use Reddit
Daniel gives us a more in-depth primer on how the site works, but here are a few basics:
- The site’s broken down into subreddits, which are essentially pages where individual topics live
- There are also discussion threads, which give you an idea of the reaction being elicited by certain comment and topics
- Each post can be ‘upvoted’ or ‘downvoted’ by users, the sum of which determines a post’s ranking and how high it appears on a given page
- And the posts with the best ranking in a very recent period appear on what Reddit calls its front page
Actionable tips on how to spike your earned media using the platform
- Become an active user
- Master the search function
- Model and riff on top content
- Remember Reddit’s (not insurmountable) limitations
For more details on exactly how you can use Reddit to boost your exposure, increase social engagement, and generally meet and beat your campaign’s goals — as well as some real-life success stories of the practice in action and the secret most valuable filter combination — check out our webinar, Using Reddit to Spike Your Media Coverage.