Matter Communications—a Brand Elevation Agency specializing in PR, social media, creative services and digital marketing—achieved tremendous success in 2019, highlighted by a 17 percent increase in revenue. Building on its solid foundation, Matter significantly grew client partnerships, exceeded its Helping Hands volunteer goal and won a record number of awards. All while working diligently to maximize client successes as it advances its fully integrated, digital approach to communications.
High revenue growth areas included the agency’s core public relations offerings—which experienced an 11 percent increase over the previous year—and Matter’s Boulder, Colorado office, which increased 46 percent over the previous year.
Digital Marketing Momentum
Matter’s digital marketing services drove significant growth for the agency in 2019, highlighted by a 173 percent increase in revenue over 2018. From brand strategy and design to inbound marketing, search marketing, social media, and website creation, the digital services team bolsters Matter’s core offerings while elevating client programs through integrated marketing campaigns that tell captivating stories and drive results.
“Over the last year, we’ve made great strides in advancing our fully integrated, digital offerings, further supplementing our core public relations capabilities. And through that evolution, we’ve been able to deliver better outcomes for our clients and our business,” said Scott Signore, CEO of Matter. “In today’s media landscape, the success of a brand is driven by its ability to reach consumers across a wide range of channels. And by focusing on developing integrated campaigns, we’ve sharpened our skills, pioneered innovative tactics and built bigger successes for our clients.”
With a seven percent staffing increase in 2019, Matter brought on many new, talented employees, including the addition of Meghan Gardner as Vice President of the Portland, Oregon office.
Matter Health Launch
In March, Matter announced a dedicated brand for its fast-growing healthcare division, Matter Health. Since that time, the practice has achieved significant growth with the addition of a half dozen notable client partners from across the healthcare continuum to its PR and digital marketing portfolio. Bolstering the ongoing expansion, the group also added industry veteran, Paul Berthiaume, to its leadership team as an account director. Berthiaume will work closely with vice president and division lead, Ryan Lilly, to support key client programs and assist with the future strategic vision and growth of the practice.
Key Client Wins
In 2019, Matter added many new clients across key verticals—ranging from healthcare to technology—including:
- Corindus: The global technology leader in robotic-assisted vascular interventions, bringing robotic precision and smart procedural automation to percutaneous coronary and peripheral interventions.
- Evenflo: The top designer, manufacturer and marketer of infant and juvenile products. Evenflo is a leading supplier of durable products to key retailers such as Wal-Mart, Target, Buy Buy Baby and Amazon.
- Humanyze: Founded out of the MIT Media Lab, the company brings over a decade of advanced research in organizational network analysis and behavioral science to Fortune 1,000 companies to help them uncover how work actually gets done.
- Level Ex: Played by over 500,000 healthcare professionals, Level Ex creates medical video games that challenge physicians and sharpen their cognitive and analytical skills.
- Nerdio: The leading Azure automation platform provider for managed services providers (MSPs).
- True Fit: The leading data-driven personalization platform for footwear and apparel retailers that decodes personal style, fit and size for every consumer, every shoe and every piece of clothing.
- UniFocus: The industry leader in workforce optimization dedicated to providing the Hospitality, Service, Retail and Healthcare Industries with the most comprehensive systems available.
“As we round the corner into 2020, we’re excited to harness our momentum to drive our business and further elevate our clients’ brands,” said Mandy Mladenoff, President of Matter. “This new decade will bring about new challenges and opportunities we can’t yet conceive of—and we’re ready to forge innovative, captivating ways to solve them.”
This year, Matter celebrated multiple award wins for its notable workplace culture and exceptional client work, including:
- Gold Stevie® Award for Public Relations Agency of the Year by The American Business Awards
- 2019 Top Places to Work in Massachusetts by The Boston Globe
- 33 recognitions for video work, including The Ad Club Hatch Awards and Telly Awards
- Top Place to Work in PR by PR News
- Award for Leadership in Community Service and Corporate Social Responsibility from the Communitas Awards
- Merit Award for Agency Citizenship/Pro Bono Work from PR Club’s Bell Ringer Awards
- Bronze Bells for Consumer Publicity Campaign and Media Event from PR Club’s Bell Ringer Awards
Volunteer Program Accomplishments
Matter’s volunteer program, “Helping Hands,” exceeded its goal of volunteering 1200 cumulative hours throughout the year for the third consecutive time. Employees across all offices contributed a total of 1366 hours in 2019. 54 volunteer events were held in support of various organizations, such as The Salvation Army, Children’s Book Bank, Build a Bed, Crayons to Calculators, Rhode Island Food Bank and the Haley House.
With more than 180 professionals in offices in Boston and Newburyport, MA, Providence, RI, Pittsburgh, PA, Boulder, CO, and Portland, OR, Matter is one of the fastest-growing public relations, social media, creative and digital marketing firms in the country. Matter has won 12 “Agency of the Year” accolades and has been recognized as a best place to work.