PRSSA, the foremost organization for students interested in the public relations and communications profession, announced today the election of its 2021–2022 National Committee prior to its Leadership Assembly, which is being held virtually from April 14-15 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
“If there’s anything that I have learned about our PRSSA student leaders this last year, it is how uniquely prepared they are when it comes to facing the challenges that come their way,” said Jeneen Garcia, Senior Vice President, Programming, PRSA. “The newly elected National Committee members share a passion and enthusiasm for the communications profession that is inspiring, and I’m excited to work with them as they help guide PRSSA.”
The 2021–2022 National Committee, which begins its one-year term on June 1, will be led by National President Rachel Meltzer. A student at the University of Oklahoma, she is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in journalism with a concentration in public relations and a Bachelor of Fine Arts in drama with a concentration in stage management. She also has minors in arts management & entrepreneurship and human relations. Meltzer previously served as vice president of events and fundraising.
“I am incredibly excited and humbled to have been elected as the next National President,” said Meltzer. “This past year has truly shown the resiliency of our members and Chapters and it has been so special seeing the efforts made by PRSSA to foster connections. I look forward to working with the incoming Committee to continue cultivating and investing in these connections across PRSSA.”
New National Committee members also include:
- Immediate Past President: Carolyn Lok, University of Florida*
- Vice President of Brand Engagement: Cat Kalogeros, University of Rhode Island
- Vice President of Career Services: Kimberly Aldunate, Florida International University
- Vice President of Chapter Development: Alyssa Gormley, Ohio University
- Vice President of Digital Communications: Claire Gilpin, University of Oklahoma
- Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion: Rayna van Beuzekom, University of Florida
- Vice President of Events and Fundraising: Erin Lewis, University of Florida
- Vice President of Member Services: Alyson Hoffman, Ohio Northern University
- Vice President of Professional Development: Kayla Holley, SUNY Oswego
*This is a regular transition from the presidency
“Despite coming into our roles during the height of the pandemic and the challenges we were up against, the National Committee and I were confident in our abilities to execute our goals for the year,” said Lok. “Not only did we learn to adapt our programs in a virtual environment, but we also constantly worked to build out new opportunities that diversified our members’ experience. I couldn’t be more proud of what this team has accomplished, and I have no doubt that the incoming Committee will continue to move PRSSA forward.”
Due to the circumstances of COVID-19, the election process took place remotely and all candidates running for office were required to send their nomination form and a video of their speech to PRSSA National. Candidate videos and forms were then shared with delegates for review. As part of the election process, the National Committee also gave delegates the opportunity to ask questions to the candidates live via Zoom before voting took place. To find Rachel Meltzer’s speech to her fellow PRSSA members, click here.