Events are a great way to connect with your target audience, increase brand visibility, and bring more sales. However, organizing a successful event requires good planning and execution. You also need to promote your event to ensure maximum participation.
Today, media coverage is as just important as ever. It gives you the greater exposure you need to let out words about your brand. This is why using media-related marketing strategies will help you achieve your goal quickly.
If you’re holding an event, an effective press release is one way to promote it. An event press release is critical for business as it helps spread out the information and get people into it. It also helps boost traction and generate leads!
Why should you write an event press release?
A press release is an official statement issued to the media about a particular event or news. Organizations use press releases to communicate with journalists and media outlets to gain publicity for their brands, products, or services. There are several types of press releases aimed at different goals, such as event press releases, funding announcements, product press releases, and many more.
Writing an event press release can help you generate organic traffic for your brand in the following ways:
- Increased visibility: If you distribute event releases to media outlets, bloggers, and even influencers, you have a higher chance to increase brand awareness. When the media covers your event, it helps boost your brand’s credibility and reach a wider audience.
- Improved SEO: You will experience a greater SEO result while doing a press release by including keywords related to your virtual event. Journalists and bloggers will cite the source of the release, which is your website, and link back to it. That way, you’ll get an easy backlink that eventually improves your search engine ranking.
- Targeted outreach: You can catch a specific audience’s attention by doing an event press release. This is excellent for getting new customers as you’ve sent the release to the right media outlets targeted to your audience.
6 steps to write a press release for events
1. Determine the message of your press release
Before you start writing your press release, it’s essential to determine the main message you want to convey. Use the best notetaking apps to write down your ideas, such as an announcement of a new product launch, an upcoming event, or a new partnership.
Defining a message you want to deliver makes it easier for you to create a press release that fits your goals.
2. Define the 5 W’s and 1 H’s of your event
The 5 W’s and 1 H’s (Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How) are critical components of any press release. You should include these elements to ensure your content is informative and engaging. Make sure to include the following information:
- Who is organizing the event?
- What is the event about?
- When is the event taking place?
- Where is the event happening?
- Why should people join the event?
- How can people participate in the event?
The more detailed your press releases are, the easier people to digest the information and get into your event.
3. Create an attention-grabbing headline
Your headline or subject line is the first thing journalists and bloggers will see, so it’s important to make it eye-catching. Write a concise yet informative headline, and capture the essence of your event. Try to make it creative, and use action verbs to make it more engaging.
4. Add engaging visuals
Adding visuals such as images, videos, or infographics makes your press release more compelling and shareable. Use high-quality visuals relevant to your event and align with your brand’s identity. Including visuals helps break up the text and make your event press release more readable.
5. Present a compelling quote
You can also include a quote from a spokesperson or an event organizer to add credibility and authenticity to your press release. The quote should be relevant to the event and capture the point you want to convey. You may include the name and title of the person providing the quote, making it more trustworthy to your audience.
6. Be sure to include contact details
Journalists and readers can reach you for more information when they see contact details on your content. Make sure to include the contact information of your PR representative to answer questions. You can also add links to your website or social media accounts to simplify the route to joining your event.
Writing an event press release is an excellent way to attract people coming to your event. But, creating a well-written press release will give you more traction because it builds buzz and generates excitement for your event. Remember to keep your message clear and concise, use attention-grabbing headlines and visuals, and provide contact information for follow-up inquiries.