When it comes to choosing a database vendor, know this: not all are created equal, and it pays to do your homework.
Like, it literally pays.
Here are 10 questions you need to ask when choosing a database vendor:
- How many unique journalists do they have in your industry? In your region?
- How often is contact information updated?
- How easy and intuitive is the search function?
- Can you save and export lists?
- Can you save search criteria so my lists can be be updated with the latest contacts and info?
- Am I able to reach out to influencers with personalized pitches directly from the platform? And is there a way to track who opens and where they click in my emails?
- How easy is it to convert press releases created in Word to email format?
- What post-sales support and training is provided? Is it free or is there an additional cost?
- How much does the database cost?!
- What are the payment terms? Can I pay monthly instead of annually? And is there an auto-renew clause? (This one can be a killer.)
And one more tip before you go! If your ideal influencer isn’t a journalist, check to make sure that the database contains non-media contacts, like bloggers and social media influencers. Apparently these people — especially the micro kind — can have quite the impact on your PR efforts.