The Maine Public Relations Council (MPRC) recently announced its 2017 Professional Achievement Awards and Golden Arrow Awards during an event in Brunswick.
Nancy Roberts, Marketing Communications program coordinator at the New England School of Communications at Husson University, received the Edward L. Bernays Award. The award is the highest honor bestowed by MPRC to a single practitioner and recognizes a Maine public relations professional who has exhibited extraordinary achievement and outstanding leadership in the public relations profession, along with community service and unmatched professional integrity and ethical behavior.
Rinck Advertising President Laura Davis Rinck was the recipient of the Midge Vreeland Public Service Award. The award honors the legacy of Vreeland, who was a longtime MPRC member and the founder, with her husband Stew, of Vreeland Marketing & Design. The award recognizes a public relations professional or organization whose efforts help the greater good and embody the core principles that were held by Vreeland: integrity, commitment to community service and a willingness to advance organizations and their causes. Davis Rinck was recognized for her service and advocacy on behalf of cancer education and prevention organizations and those living with cancer.
Shane Perry, web content administrator at EMHS, received the MPRC President’s Award. Perry was chosen for the award by MPRC President Linda Varrell as a member who has shown a commitment to MPRC, along with leadership and excellence in the field of public relations.
Rinck Advertising Content Producer Veronica Dubois was the recipient of the Rising Star Award. The honor recognizes a young public relations professional who has exhibited extraordinary achievement and outstanding work. Nominees are judged on both their professional work and their community service.
The 2017 Golden Arrow Awards program received more than 40 entries for campaign and tactics categories. The Golden Arrows recognize the best work of communications, public relations and marketing professionals, and student practitioners based in Maine. The 2017 entries were judged by industry experts from the National Capital Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America in Washington, D.C.
Here is the complete list of Golden Arrow Award winners by category.
Corporate or Agency Blog
- Silver: Diane Atwood for the Catching Health blog
- Silver: Nancy Marshall Communications for the Orvis #NowOrNeverglades campaign
Feature/Commentary Placement: Local Mainstream
- Gold: Broadreach Public Relations for a Maine Association for Community Service Providers Portland Press Herald feature
- Silver: Broadreach Public Relations for the Hospice of Southern Maine story “Gene’s Gift”
- Silver: Nancy Marshall Communications for “Fly Fishing 101 with Orvis”
Feature/Commentary Placement: Online
- Gold: Nancy Marshall Communications for the Forbes.com feature “Orvis: How to Reinvent a 160 Year Old Fly Fishing Company”
- Silver: Rinck Advertising for the Adweek.com feature “This agency just made a whole music video to say a fond farewell to a client”
- Gold: Broadreach Public Relations for the Dempsey Center merger press conference
- Silver: Broadreach Public Relations for the Maine Brewers’ Guild Maine Beer Box press conference
- Silver: Rinck Advertising for “Agency makes epic music video as farewell to client”
Print or Online Newsletters
- Gold: Nancy Marshall Communications for the Lipman & Katz newsletter
Organizational Identity Campaign
- Gold: Nancy Marshall Communications for the Orvis Marshall Plan
- Silver: GarrandPartners for The Cedars Grows Bold campaign
Paid/Earned/Owned Media Campaign
- Gold: Fluent IMC for the FordMurray brand awareness campaign
- Nonprofit Silver: GarrandPartners for Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee Day with Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital
Public Affairs Campaign
- Gold: Broadreach Public Relations for the Maine Association for Community Service Providers campaign
- Gold: Broadreach Public Relations Maine Food Strategy – Maine Food Network Gathering
- Silver: Broadreach Public Relations for the Maine Landscape and Nursery Association’s Maine Flower Show
Social Media Campaign
- Silver: GarrandPartners for the Dunkin’ Donuts #LikeNoOther campaign
Innovative Use of Social Media
- Silver: Burgess Advertising & Marketing for Healthy Androscoggin REACH
- Nonprofit Silver: Burgess Advertising & Marketing for Educate Maine
Best in Show
- Nancy Marshall Communications for the Forbes.com feature “Orvis: How to Reinvent a 160 Year Old Fly Fishing Company”