Vericast, a leading marketing solutions company that delivers actionable insights and operational expertise at scale—in concert with its newly branded leading direct mail package Save that reaches over 75 million households nearly every week— recently announced proprietary survey findings related to consumer sentiment around the use of coupons and discounts.
Based on responses from 1,000 U.S. adults, coupons and discounts are accelerating consumers’ return to pre-pandemic activities, with 64% of consumers noting that coupons or discounts would encourage them to take part in gatherings or group activities this summer including dining out, hosting a barbecue, seeing a movie at a theater, or playing mini golf. Additionally, 9 in 10 plan to use a coupon or discount in the next six months for grocery (70%), restaurants/dining (64%) and beauty/grooming (37%).
Coupons and discounts are also driving consumers to discover new businesses. In fact, 62% of adults reported having shopped at a brand, retailer or restaurant for the first time in the past year due to a coupon or discount. This aligns with consumer spending overall, with 83% of individuals saying they made at least one purchase over the last six months because of a coupon or discount.
“Now more than ever, consumers are placing an increased value on discounts and savings as they look to return to normalcy,” said Sarah O’Grady, Senior Director of Brand Marketing, Vericast. “Brands that take advantage of this sentiment will connect more deeply with consumers and maximize their brand visibility. Heading into the summer months, there is a significant opportunity for businesses to acquire new customers and strengthen relationships with current ones by delivering relevant offers for the products and experiences consumers want right now.”
Additional findings from the survey include:
Using coupons and discounts lead to an emotional reward
- Almost half of consumers (43%) report feeling “excited” when they save money using a coupon or discount; more than half (51%) report feeling “satisfied.”
- Younger generations feel the emotional payoff even more, with 59% of consumers aged 25-34 saying they feel “excited” by savings.
Coupons and discounts inspire people to stay in touch
- 67% of consumers have used a coupon or discount to purchase or send gifts to family, friends or colleagues in the past year.
- This is especially true for younger generations, with 85% of consumers aged 18-24 saying they used a coupon to purchase a gift at least once in the past year.
- 43% of consumers are more inclined to purchase a gift online and have it delivered to the recipient when a coupon or discount is offered.
Deals are central to summer events
- Consumers are planning to use coupons or discounts to celebrate summer holidays, with 58% likely to capitalize on Memorial Day (40%), Independence Day (40%) and Labor Day (33%) deals.
Coupons or discounts are used by consumers who have an active dating life
- 78% of consumers and 84% of Gen Z (age 18-24) currently dating say they would use a coupon or discount on a date at a restaurant.
- Over one-third (36%) of dating consumers aged 35-44 say they are likely to use a coupon or discount on a first
To maximize a brand’s visibility and boost sales with engaging coupons and discounts, learn more about Save Direct Mail and the Save Free-standing Insert. Consumers can also sign up to be notified when an opportunity to save big pops up and follow Save on Facebook and Instagram.
To understand consumer sentiment around the use of coupons and discounts, 1,000 consumers were surveyed. All respondents were located in the United States and were over the age of 18. The survey was conducted in April 2021.